What is Dwijing Festival ?
Dwijing Festival which is jointly organized by Assam Tourism Department, Assam Tourism Development Corporation (ATDC) and Bodoland Tourism every year from 27th December to 7th January near the Aie River in the district of Chirang BTAD, Assam. Initially, the festival was started as “Aie River Winter Festival“ in 2016-2017 by the local community.
Since Aie River was already a major picnic spot in the region, the festival receives great responses and huge footfalls in its initial year which leads a festival to put a place in Assam’s annual celebration calendar. Later on the “Aie River Winter Festival“ name was changed to “ दैJing Festival” and formed a committee with a vision to bring this festival in national and international attention.
What is the Meaning of दैJing?
The word Dwijing derives from a native boro language. It has a combination of two words. i.e “Dwi” and “Jing“. “Dwi” means water and “Jing” means the banks of a river or near river in boro language. In simple terms Banks of the river festival, since it is celebrated in the banks of Aie river the festival is named Dwijing Festival.
“Aie” means mother in Bodo and the Assamese language.
Some Facts About “AIE” River
- AIE river flows from the Himalayan Mountains of Bhutan entering through the Chirang and Bongaigaon districts of Assam and falls in the mighty Brahmaputra river.
- The River helps almost 30,000 families for their daily livelihoods through crop harvesting, fishing, stone and sand collection, and many more activities.
- AIE means mother in Boro and the Assamese language.
- The Aie river becomes a major picnic spot of attraction as well as weekend activities.
- Hagrama bridge stands above the Aie river.
Why this festival is celebrated?
- The dwijing festival aims to provide a platform of earning for the people in the region by putting into focus the business activities for the better economy generation through rural tourism.
- The festival also aims to provide help to the flood victims through charity generation and distribution.
Some glimpse of 2019-20 Dwijing festival
The 2019-20 edition of Dwijing Festival was apparently a huge success and created a record by attracting more than 6 lakh visitors. This year, the number of visitors has gone up significantly as compared to previous years. This 10-day colorful festival is a perfect platform to witness the local tourism and Bollywood masala along with different activities. Here are some of the best activities of 4th edition of this festival.
- Helicopter Ride
- Hot Air Balloon
- River Side Night Camping with DJ
- Dwijing Riders Meet
- Cycling Splash
- Dwijing Bollywood Night
Other than that there were many adventures activities you can enjoy but in my opinion, this was my best. Apart from that if your a professional traveler you can be a part of this festival as a promoter and for that, you have to be eligible for an Ambassador of Bodoland, while being a part of ambassador you will benefit lots of activities like Jeep Safari in Manas National Park, Site Visit, etc. in free of cost.
One of the best extravaganza this 4th edition witnessed was two-day Dwijing Bollywood night. Starting from Vishal–Shekhar, Jonida Gandi and Suganda Mishra in the opening day and ending with Mika, Niti Mohan and Baccha Yadav, probably the highest number of human gathering in the entire region with a footfall of more than 2.5 lakh peoples in a single day known till date.
Location of Dwijing Festival
Address: Aie river Hagrama bridge, Chirang BTAD Assam
By Road: 5 Km from Bongaigaon National Highway(31C)
By Train: Nearest rail station is New Bongaigaon 7KM
By Air: Guwahati Airport (LGBI). 3 hours of journey.
Where To Stay?
Cygnet(4-star), Himalaya(3-star) hotel at Bongaigaon is the best option to stay.
Camping at Aie River is also one best option at affordable price.